So we decide to change doctors. Our meeting with Dr. Patrick was on a Monday, and we spend the rest of the week calling around for recommendations and then calling to make appointments. Oh, and moving too. We move on Thursday: first our computers and all the stuff we’ll need for the next two months up to the tiny-but-perfect Manhattan apartment, and then all the rest of the stuff out to the house in Connecticut, where we’ll be taking up residence as soon as the baby arrives. Thanks to the speediness of our movers (and, I’m convinced, the exceptional karma of Samidh, the guy we’re subletting from), we squeak in, after crawling through abominable traffic, only minutes before the 5pm deadline for moving stuff in. We hurriedly dump our stuff in the apartment and then head on to Connecticut, where we unload more stuff into the wee hours. We get back to the apartment and I begin monitoring at around 2:00am.
The next day, Friday, I call Dr. Patrick’s office and tell the receptionist I’ll be changing practitioners and could we get the charts? She doesn’t seem too surprised, and tells me I can come pick them up now but that she’s leaving for the day in 15 minutes. Guy hurries over there and she gives him a copy of my chart. Interestingly, she (the receptionist – Dr. Patrick doesn’t seem to be around) doesn’t ask *why* I’m leaving, but is very interested in who I’ll be going to. Guy tells her we haven’t made a decision yet, and she wishes us well.
Early the next week, I go to my scheduled non-stress test at the hospital. They ask who my dr. is and I tell them I’m changing dr.s and don’t know yet. They ask who I’m considering, and I name Dr. M, with whom I have an appointment scheduled on Thursday. They say no problem, just let us know when you’ve made a decision and we’ll send all the results to them.
The next day, I get a call from Dr. M’s office, saying that he’s had to cancel my appointment, but that he’ll be calling me later. He calls that evening. “I’m afraid it’s not good news,” he says. Apparently, Dr. Patrick had called him earlier, telling him about me and saying that he might be getting a call from me. If he decided to take me as a patient, she said, she would not back him up in my case. So, if I were to go into labor on a day when he wasn’t on duty, or was out of town, she would not deliver me.
I hadn’t realized they were in the same medical group, and therefore backed each other up, but having learned this, was glad she had decided to refuse up front to take care of me. I’m sure her motives had nothing to do with protecting my interests, but looking up from the throes of labor to see her smiling face was really not what I had in mind for this birth experience. Later, it occurred to me that she had divulged all kinds of confidential information from my case to him that I’m pretty sure I never authorized her to divulge. But, not the biggest issue on my plate at the moment. Right now, we’ve got to find another doctor. And since Dr. M and everyone else in his practice is out of the running, the field has been significantly narrowed.
As of yesterday though, I had two really great candidates to choose from – both of which said they would sign some variation of a letter requesting the Pregnancy Institute’s monitoring equipment and services. I made my decision yesterday, called both doctors and let them know what I’d decided, and now have an appointment with my new Dr. – Dr. J – the day after Christmas. And a good thing too, because this whole bursting-bellied preggo going from door to door at this time of year only to be turned away again and again… it’s just not good imagery for a non-Christian.